Wednesday, February 13, 2008

WFMW: Sponge CLOTH

Thanks to Melanie over at Don't Try This At Home for sponsoring Shannon's weekly Works for Me Wednesday feature today! Check out Melanie's post today for all the great Works for Me tips. Shannon is in Uganda, so make sure you stop by to read her latest updates... Now that I've confused you with all those links, let me share with you what works for me...

In my kitchen, I have two separate cleaning cloth-type items (and a scrub brush, too)... a sponge for washing dishes, and a sponge CLOTH for wiping down counters, spills on tables, floors, etc. I love this little spongy-cloth... "thing." It is maybe a total of 1/4" thick, and it is about a 7" square. Two come in one pack for about $2.50 USD. I have a very hard time finding them in my grocery store, because once they come into stock, they fly off the shelf. I am in the process of searching for an online solution, and so far what I've found is that I can get it HERE in the US and HERE in Canada. SWEET!

The company says the following about the product: Sponge cloths wipe like a cloth, but absorb like a sponge – up to 10 times their own weight in water. Use around the house, or in the yard. Perfect to take along on picnics – they fold easily for neat storage. Great for getting the dew off patio furniture or cleaning off a seat in the park.

Here's what I say about the product: The cloths pick up puddles of water (any liquid) like NO PAPER TOWEL can! They wipe off the counter leaving it clean and dry. They are a small miracle in disguise of a sponge. We are constantly... contsantly spilling the dog's water bowl, and if I lay one sponge cloth on top of the spill, it will pick it all up. Not so with a paper towel. I adore these things, and have one in all our main bathrooms, and in the kitchen.

Added bonus ... Antimicrobial! It kills bacteria in the cloth!

Downfall ... it does dry out and get hard, because it is, after all ... a sponge. But if you wet it and wring it out, you're in business again... so not really a downfall.

Warning: don't confuse these with other items such as the microfiber cloth, which smears... or the Handi Wipes reusable cloths, which tear easily and are flimsy. The sponge cloth is tough and works well. If it "sours" like sponges tend to do, I soak it (along with my sponge and scrub brush) in a solution of: a splash of clorox bleach, a dash of dawn detergent, and a bowl full of hot water.

6 comments:

Donnetta said...

I haven't heard of these. Great tip! I will have to check them out!

Susanne said...

I've never seen these before. Maybe they're flying off our shelves too!

CC said...

great idea. are they washable or microwavable to kill additional germs?

Girl Raised in the South said...

I've never heard of these - I'll look for them though!

Laura said...

I've never seen these before either. I'm in Canada like Susanne, hmmm I wonder if we haven't gotten them here yet. Will keep my eyes open for them.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Wonderful - I especially love the antimicrobial part. I seem to get more germophobic with every passing year, and soggy sponges are one of my biggest ICKS.

Every chance I get, I thrown my sponges in the dishwasher when we run it. I figure it kills most of the junk, anyway.