Friday, January 16, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-CHANGES...

In diet and lifestyle ...

Yes, a "healthier us" is in progress. Please excuse me while I blab about it on my blog.

We've (and by "we" I mean "he") started Step 1 (lowering cholesterol and high blood pressure) towards a healthier husband. But there is so much more... so I present you with Step 2...

Step 2 towards a healthier us: Reducing on meal per week to a meat-less meal. Ugh. I can't tell you how hard this will be for me. I am totally all about beef. And now, I need to be totally about ... lentils, beans, legumes, tofu.... UGH. Fortunately, it is only for one or two meals a week.
Actually, in all fairness, I can mix pasta in with all that healthy meatless stuff... so I'm okay with that. Anything with Pasta is okay with me!!! And Parmesan cheese, of course, which is a hard cheese, therefore better for the diet!

Much to my husband's "joy," I'll be making a ratatouille over spaghetti this Sunday, and I'm hoping it will blow our socks off. Really, really hoping.

Next weekend, I'll be trying my hand at a really delectable vegetarian spaghetti sauce with lentils. No ground chicken. Just ... lentils. Joy. But, HEY! It's HEALTHY! And that's what my husband (and really, ALL of us) need.

In retrospect, we eat fairly healthy meals at home, but that's not always the case when we go out. It is hard to control the sodium levels in restaurants (hence the SuperShots), and all the delicious sauces are tempting at best. Another thing I'll really have to curb is baking. I love to bake, and while I do bake a lot with Splenda for baking, not all things turn out as tasty with applesauce or Splenda as they do with real sugar and real oil. And sadly, I have a sweet tooth... something I'll have to come to terms with on my own.

So ... Anyone out there have any healthy meat-less dishes they like (outside of chili, of course!)?

2 comments:

Susanne said...

My youngest went vegetarian for about a good 6 months and now will eat poultry but no pork, beef or lamb. It was a learning experience for both of us, but once you start it's not so bad. She totally does not miss those meats and gotten to enjoy the beans, legumes, and other stuff. When older girls friend was visiting last summer who is also a vegetarian I came up with these tacos off the cuff and we didn't even miss the meat. Give them a try and let me know what you think:

http://susannesspace.blogspot.com/2008/08/monday-mish-mash_11.html

Lovely Rita said...

If it wasn't for my hubby wanting to be healthy, it would be sooo much harder for me. He is my biggest saboteur, always bringing home my favorites (and his). I always go to allrecipes.com and read reviews before making something new. Let me know how the lentil sauce goes...