Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WFMW: Juicing Lemons and Strawberry Shortcake


Works for Me Wednesday is brought to you by Shannon from Rocks in my Dryer -- make sure to head on over and check out all the other great tips!

Today, I have two cool tips for you. First, it is TOTALLY the season for lemonade and limeade ... but unless you have the cash to purchase one of those totally awesome juicerrators, then you know how difficult getting all the juice out of a lemon or lime can be. For years, I would do the old "place a fork in the middle of the lemon and twist while you squeeze" trick ... and I thought I was getting all the juice out of the citrus fruit.

That is until I bought this cool little contraption that I placed in my husband's Christmas stocking... It's a lemon squeezer. I only paid $15 for it, and it was totally worth it. Now, I get all the juice out of the lemons.

Here's how it works... You place the lemon in the "well" of the juicer upside-down. You squeeze the handles and it juices the lemon and flips it inside-out. Very cool. Then, I discovered that if I place the inside-out lemon back into the juicer and give it another good squeeze, it flips it outside-in (if you would), and completes the juicing process! It's amazing, and makes our yummy limeades and lemonades a breeze to make!




My second tip is very, very simple... but I really think it adds a lot of elegance to a very simple dessert ... strawberry shortcakes. I make my biscuits using bisquick, I roll them out, then I cut them with a large square scallope-edged cookie cutter I got years ago from Michaels (as you can see by the picture, I made a variety of sizes). Then, I sprinkled them with sugar and baked them (just ignore that I overbaked them because I made them on that day). Anyway ... it just makes the biscuit a bit more elegant for a quick dessert when you have company over. And when the sweet and fresh strawberries go out of season, continue making your delicious shortcake dessert with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, apricots, etc.


8 comments:

Jennifer said...

You're just full of good ideas! :-) Everything looks yummy. Thanks for the tips.

Jessica said...

I love that you add pictures ! So helpful! But now I'm hungry! Thanks a lot! :-)

Janis Rodgers said...

You just made me hungry and thirsty! Great ideas. Thanks for sharing! The cupcake contest sounds interesting, too. I may have to join in on that. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

that lemon squeezer is very very cool

Shalee said...

Okay, okay... I was trying to figure out how you were going to juice a strawberry shortcake, but now I get it.

And both tips are very tipilicious!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm lovin' your striped plates! LOVE the color.

And, now I'm going to have to make strawberry shortcake. See what you've done to me?

Jada said...

MMMM, those strawberry shortcakes look yummy! I use Bisquick, too, when I make biscuits for strawberry shortcake. I always make them round, though, like mom did/does, because we like to put them in a bowl with milk, the strawberries, and whipped cream or vanilla icecream. Now I'm hungry for strawberry shortcake! Got any leftovers? I live in PA so it's not too long of a drive to the D.C. area! LOL

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Oh - how yummy!!!! :) And I NEED that squeezer!!

:)