Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's a Birthday! And ... other stuff ...

Today is someones birthday! I'll give you a little hint ... she's so sweet, so thoughtful, so in love with God... she's an awesome mom and wife, she loves strawberries, and while she loves peaches, she hates the color. She adores pink, hates mauve, her signature color is purple, and she loves to collect tea pots. ... Give up? It's Pam (a.k.a. Peach) from Without Fear!

Happy Birthday, my friend!

Hop on over and wish her a great day!

Now ... on to other stuff. Yesterday, around 11:00, I left my job to go get my son and take him to the emergency room. He has a collection of fluid under his incision where he had a cystic hygroma removed about two weeks ago. The fluid build up is about the size of a medium egg, and when I called his doctor about it yesterday, there was only one doctor on call because of the holiday, and they asked us to take him to the emergency room. Now, bear in mind... he's not in pain, he's not too uncomfortable, I only called to alert the doctor. Now, they want us to go to the ER to make sure it's not infected. So, let me recap our day and all the fun stuff we endured.

11:00 - drive home; in-laws drive me to day care to meet husband so we don't have to cars. Daycare is a 40 minute drive.
12:30 - leave daycare and drive to Washington, D.C.
1:30 - arrive at hospital and check into Emergency Room.
2:30 - Wait.
3:30 - Go back to observation room and wait. Pay $50 copay. Nice.
4:30 - Wait. Over hear one doctor talking about an infant who is in the ER that has leukemia and has an infected port. Pray for family, infant, and thank God it isn't our child.
5:30 - Wait. Husband goes to cafeteria and returns with delicious, most outstanding (NOT) sandwich the three of us share. Somewhere in there, two nurses, and one doctor pop in to check out the pocket of fluid.
6:30 - Wait. Somewhere in there, two nurses, and one doctor pop in to check out the pocket of fluid. We're told someone from surgery has been paged, but they had 2 back-to-back traumas. Pray for families.
7:00 - hear an infant screaming, screaming, and screaming from a treatment she is receiving. See mom pacing the floors (dad is with baby), and pray for her and the family.
7:45 - surgeons finally show up and tell us "yes, it's a sack of fluid, it's not infected, come back on Friday to see his surgeon."
8:00 - nurse checks vitals.
8:15 - receive discharge papers.
8:30 - pull out of parking and PAY $7.00 PARKING FEE. Talk about adding insult to injury.
9:45 - pull into driveway and put sleeping baby to bed, crash into our own beds and fall sound asleep.

All, in all, Hunter is fine. He's carrying around a pouch of fluid, and we're gong BACK to D.C. (oh, the joy) to explore the various options we face: leave it alone and see what it does; do a sclerosin treatment (I think that's what it's called), add another drain tube.

We're wiped, exhausted, and sad for our child, but God saw us through. Hunter was an angel -- a total trooper -- all day long. Very well behaved! Praise God!

So, please forgive me if I don't draw the names of the winners for the Homemade with Love giveaway until tomorrow. Today, I've got to catch up on some work, and start visiting the HMWL participants.

Have a great day, y'all, and go wish Pam a happy birthday!


Laurel Wreath said...

Many I hate that. I am glad it is not infected! What a long day. So many people complain here, now our hospital advertises "In and Out within an hour" and I have to say they did a great job when my oldest son hurt his leg.

Barb @ A Chelsea Morning said...

What an awful day you all had, GiBee. The thought of all those sick babies and the screaming just makes me sad but I'm glad Hunter is OK.

I can't believe the Homemade With Love idea exchange is already upon us. No way am I ready and being out of town for a week didn't help, so I'm going to see what I can quickly put together between what I did last year and what I've accomplished this year. Sigh. A day late and a dollar short. AGAIN!

LvlyRita said...

What a trial. Yuck. I don't think ER's are good for anything but life and death situations (or craft beads in the ear on a Sunday night :). I've had a few bad experiences with ER doctor's not doing anything productive, just running expensive tests instead of using common sense. Glad that Hunter is okay.

momrn2 said...

So glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious with Hunter!!

Although I haven't been able to think of anything creative to add to your HMWL carnival... I am so enjoying the people who have! And of course your ideas are fabulous... as always! ;-)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Aw, honey - what an icky day. I have been so so SO blessed to not have to make an ER run with either Vikings...yet! You are a stronger woman than me! *wink*

Philipp. 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Pam said...

Oooh!!! You got me again! Thank you SO, SO much for the flowers. They are lovely and won't ever die -- how cool is that!!

I went back and looked at the sweetheart of a post you did for me last year and got all misty eyed that you surprised me again. I am not easy to surprise and you did it TWICE!

You are precious to my heart, dear GiBee, and I am thrilled to have been honored in such a way.

Bless your heart for yesterday. May Jesus bring you an extra blessing your way today.

Your special day is right around the corner, and you never know what may come your way : )

Thanks again, friend.

ValleyGirl said...

What a long and trying day for all of you! I'm so glad to hear Hunter is okay and I hope you have a nice long, peaceful night!!