Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WFMW: Safe Eggs

Dontcha just love this new button? Me too!!

A special thanks to Shannon from Rocks in my Dryer for hosting Works for me Wednesday. Make sure to check her out, as well as all the excellent tips that get posted!

Today's tip is a huge one for me, although I'm fully aware that it may not necessarily impact your life, as it has mine! You see, we, at casa Sunshine, have a addiction fondness for Caesar Salads. Homemade ones. With lots of garlicy dressing all over it. The homemade original kind. WITHOUT dijon mustard in the dressing thankyouverymuch. And, guess what? Hunter loves Caesar salads, too! Seriously! He's TWO.

Anyway, I worried about feeding him (or us, for that matter) a dressing made with RAW egg. Yet, I'm not one to have a whole lot of time or energy to actually... coddle an egg. So, imagine my surprise when my sister shared that her local grocery store sells PASTEURIZED eggs! You see, it's not the raw egg that gets you sick, it's the untreated shell! Bet you didn't know that!

Well, I thought it was a pipe dream for us, because you see ... she lives in North Carolina, where all sorts of cool, hip, trendy grocery stores abound. But GUESS WHAT? Our local grocery stores have started selling pasteurized eggs! WOOT! Score for the familia. Yes, they are a lot more expensive, but it's worth our safety, as we consume vast amounts of Caesar salad each week. So, look for the eggs with a red P on top. They are Davidson Pasteurized Eggs.

I'm sure you're wondering what my prized Caesar salad dressing recipe is, aren't you? Well, come a little closer... closer... closer...

In a food processor, add 1 raw egg, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, juice from 1/2 lemon, and one peeled garlic clove (not a huge one ... not a small one ... a medium sized one is perfect). Blend until smooth. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and blend until smooth. Add some freshly cracked pepper, and taste to see if you need to add salt.

In a large salad bowl, toss chopped romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup (to 3/4 cup) additional Parmesan cheese, croutons, and dressing. You can either add sliced grilled chicken, steak, or enjoy as a side with some pasta! Mmmmm.

You can thank me tomorrow, after you've made it ... and for the love of everything good and leafy, do NOT leave out the anchovy paste! It really makes a big difference! I promise it won't taste fishy at all. It will, however, taste very fishy if you put a whole anchovy in there (yuck!).

You can click here to find a store near you.

You can click here for more tips.

6 comments:

Lady Why said...

Wow! I've never heard of a pasturized egg! I'm going to look for those... eggs always have made me nervous for that very reason - those pesky, germy shells!

Susanne said...

Love, love, love Ceasar's. And totally agree with you about the mustard. No mustard touches my Ceasar's.

I'll have to look for the pastuerized eggs around here.

Stacey said...

I can't eat the ceasar salad because I can't seem to get past the fact that they have anchovies in them!

Got any ideas for that??

Anonymous said...

If I use these eggs can I go back to eating raw cookie dough again?
;-)

Anonymous said...

Why not use whole anchovies if you're going for a true Caesar? They really don't taste "fishy," if that's your concern. But I applaud you for using anchovy paste! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

You can also try to do this at home (I saw it in a cooking class once, but never tried on my own).

here's a link:
http://www.melindalee.com/hardboileggs.html

just scroll to the bottom for the pasteruized part. :)