Friday, September 25, 2009

School and Modesty

So far, the fourth week of school is going very well, but the first three??? Not so well.

Hunter cried and cried and cried when I left him in the gym for before-school care. He ran out of the gym numerous times after me when I walked down the hall to leave. For two weeks this was my struggle. I was a half hour late to work every day.

The turning point was when the teacher that sat at the table checking children in came over and took him by the hand and suggested they play. That made him feel welcomed.

Now he whimpers a little and begs me not to go, but once someone engages him, he's off and has a great day at school. Praise GOD!

On another topic, I wanted to discuss modesty. A friend and fellow blogger, Jules from Everyday Mommy, was interviewed on Crosstalk. She was discussing Moms for Modesty. Jules originally began Mom's for Modesty back in 2006, and continues to move forward with this all-important topic. She did a fabulous job, and you can listen to the whole talk show here (and I encourage you to): http://www.crosstalkamerica.com/shows/2009/09/modesty.php

Like Jules, I don't have a daughter, and while the modest attire mostly impacts the way females dress and the inappropriate styles that designers create for the young girls, I must say that it also crosses over a little to the young men as well. The school my son goes to does have a uniform, but while Hunter is in pre-K, he is allowed to dress in "play" clothes. My husband and I have made a conscious decision to dress him in a "uniform" of sorts. I will only put him in long shorts or long slacks, and shirts that are either "polo" shirts, collared shirts, or turtle necks. Basically -- modest church clothes that mimics the school's uniform. The school doesn't allow the kids to wear shirts that have logos or sayings on them. I must say, that there are so many shirts with sayings on them that I will not put on my child because they are inappropriate. I have found, however, that I can purchase "uniform-like" clothing at Lands End at a fairly affordable price (solid shirts - long and short sleeved, slacks, shorts, sweat pants).

But when it comes to boys, the way you dress them isn't what I think is most important. I think it is more important what you teach your son about modesty. My husband is what I'd call my "modesty police," in that he always looks at my outfit and will let me know if he things it is too revealing or low cut. Needless to say, I'm my own hardest critic. I'm overweight, and shy about my figure. I would never, ever wear anything that I felt was inappropriate. But one thing I'm fully aware of is: My son looks at me and how I dress, and he will remember the examples that I'm setting now as to what is or isn't acceptable and/or Godly when he is considering dating a young girl in the future.

It is no secret that men are visual, and my husband and I need to teach my son how to avert his eyes, how to be polite but avoid girls that are immodest or provocative, and how to address it directly and immediately. But more importantly, I need to "practice" it... and fervently pray a hedge of protection around my son's eyes!

Each day I pray for my son's future wife. I pray that she be a Godly young woman with a firm foundation rooted in scripture, lovely in spirit, caring and loving to my son and their children, and modest and honorable.

Jules stated that "Modesty starts with the inward foundation," and one quote that Jules shared from her friend Elle really resounded in me: "When a woman takes the time, diligence and investment of will to properly attire her spirit with the strong spiritual foundations of God's truth, then her outward life and its example evidentially display those disciplined choices."

Very well said.

Whether you have a son or daughter, modesty matters.

Make a statement today. Please hop on over to Moms for Modesty and sign the petition!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

So true! My kids go to a regular city high school and I cannot believe what both boys and girls wear to school. And what the school allows them to get away with wearing always makes me shake my head in disbelief. They supposedly have a dress code rules but no one seems willing to enforce them unless it's a vulgar or discriminating tshirt. I think Elle's quote is spot on, it's about spiritual foundation and revelation in one's heart and spirit about God's truth that must come first and then the outward will follow. So happy to hear Jules is still moving forward with Moms for Modesty!