Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday stuff ... and some food fun, too!

I am totally up to my eyeballs in commodity markets, commodity pricing, trend analysis, global economy outlook, manufacturing reports, financial flows and industry news. I'm trying to finish a newsletter for work, and I need a break! I'm tired of pretending to be smart this week ... it is simply exhausting!

But first, I just wanted to show you a couple out-of-focus pictures of traffic on the beltway around Washington, D.C. --











Like I've mentioned before ... I live just outside DC, but our women's retreat was a little closer to DC than I care to venture, and this is what I was driving in... 8-lane highway (4 lanes on each side ... but at some points, it is 6 on each side), bumper to bumper of slow moving traffic, both ways ... ugh! The pictures are out of focus, because I took them while I was trying to drive. Not something I'd recommend!

Now ... for a few things that bring a smile to my face. The first picture I want to share with you is one of my son's foot. Yes, his foot brings a smile to my face. Why? Well, because he has one lone freckle on the bottom of his foot. Now, freckles run in my husband's side of the family, so I'm sure he'll eventually have a face or even body full of freckles. But right now, the only freckle on his entire body is on the bottom of his foot. And over the last couple of months... it's gone from a pin-head sized freckle to what you see now. I'm thinking it might be a birth mark, because all of my sister's kids have the same freckle on the bottom of their foot, and my mom does too. So cute. And whenever I undress him, or change his socks, or change his diaper, I always grab his bare feet, pretend to sniff them, and say... "Who's tinky (stinky) toes are these??? Pooo tinky! They are Hunters tinky toes!" And then I kiss all over them and tickle them. They're not really stinky ... so I'm not sure why I started to say that to him, but he laughs and laughs when I do that ... and the poor child is going to grow up thinking stinky is pronounced tinky ... So... here's a picture of Hunter's "tinky toes ..."


Next, I wanted to share a couple pictures of the bracelets we made at the women's retreat ... each of the colored beads represents a verse in Ps 23, and is a tool for memorizing the Psalm, as well as a reminder that He is with us...











I also wanted to share a picture of a gift that was given to me for speaking at the women's retreat. I simply adore it. And it is perfect for me. And the person that picked it out knows me intimately ... better than most people know me ... my sister-in-law!!! And she knows I love teapots, AND love lime green!!! She also put together some awesome goody bags for the other women that had a worship CD, a Point of Grace tape, a starbucks gift certificate, little candies, one of those bracelets like Lance Armstrong wears, and I can't remember what else she put in there... but they were adorable. Any way -- here's my new tea pot --










And, finally ... before we get to the food fun, I just wanted to leave you hanging on the edge of your seats ... because ... Susie (her own blog is so cute) at A Little Luxury has re-designed my blog template, and she has done a FABU job on it!!! It is so adorable, and incorporates ALL my favorite colors -- pink, lime green, oh, the list goes on! So keep your eyes peeled for the change!!!

Now, here is a recipe that I used to make when I worked with the youth in our church, and we had all-nighters. I'm assuming they liked it, because it was always GONE. Of course, I didn't make it for them, but rather, for me, because I love s'mores, and also, because I'm selfish like that! Also, it's nice to change up the rice crispy bars every now and then and have a different kind of bar treat! It's not a GiBee original recipe, but go ahead and try it out with your kids or youth ... it's so easy and tres good! (um, feeble attempt at french for very good) --

Golden Graham S'mores

3/4 c. light corn syrup
3 tbsp. butter
1 pkg. (11.5 oz.) milk chocolate morsels (not semi-sweet)
3 c. miniature marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (12 oz.) Golden Graham cereal (9 c.)

1. Grease rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
2. Heat syrup, butter and morsels to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
3. Pour over cereal; toss until coated. Fold in marshmallows, 1 cup at a time. Press in pan with buttered back of spoon. Let stand 1 hour.
4. Cut into 2 inch squares. Store loosely covered at room temperature up to 2 days. Makes 24 squares.

Let me know how you like it!!!

(Note: I only updated this to space the pictures out better. No content was changed)

20 comments:

someone else said...

Oooooh those tinky piggies are so sweet! Babies' hands and feet are my favorite.

I love the teapot! I collect teapots too and that is a really cute one. What a sweet gift.

Heather Smith said...

His little feet are so cute. What is it about baby feet that makes you want to kiss them? I mean I'd never kiss a grown up's feet, but baby feet are just so adorable!! Beautiful teapot! Can't wait to hear that lesson about Psalm 23!! Oh, and I've had the s'mores treats before. Delish!!

Jennifer said...

OOOOOHHHHH! How CUTE! Caleb's feet are about that big as well and I LOVE them! We live in a big city (the one in SE Texas, #4 or 5 in the US right now), so you can imagine our stress of wondering when I was going to go into labor and HOW LONG it was going to take us to get to the hospital! I love your teapot--how very sweet of your sister-in-law. Have a blessed weekend, friend!

Anonymous said...

Cute toes, nice bracelets, & I love the teapot. How nice of your sisinlove to pick something that was so personal for you!

Continueing to pray for you everyday!

Stacey said...

I love the freckle!!

Those bracelets are so cool.

That tea pot is awesome, how sweet of your sister-n-law to think of you!!

I think we'll have to try that recipe sometime, thanks for sharing!!

Addie said...

- LOVE THAT FRECKLE!!! So cute you could eat him up!

- I can't wait to see your new blog! I went and checked out their site yesterday too. I'm thinkin' about it. :)

- That recipe is so exactly what I need to be eating RIGHT NOW!!!

- Glad to see you as your sparkly self, You're still in my prayers.

Sandra said...

Nothing like baby feet. I LOVE little toes LOL

Definitely going to try your recipe.
I'm loving the teapot, that is just adorable.

Quick question, where abouts do you live? I have a friend moving to Fort Belvoir in 2 months, her husband will be working at the pentagon and they are trying to figure out how bad the commute is out there. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Those bracelets are gorgeous! :)

I can't wait to get your new design installed tonight. Yay!

kpjara said...

One look at that traffic and I remember one of the reasons I left the East Coast....do miss the water and culture though!

Treasure those feet, even when they're HUGE and DO get tinky...remember how they started.

Blessings

Shalee said...

I love baby toes... they are so cute! And freckles are really just angel kisses in case you didn't know.

Those bracelets are beautiful. I love anything that will remind me exactly who is in charge...

And that traffic is on of the reasons I don't ever want to live in a huge city. 20 minute drive is all I ever want to make to work.

And I'm still lifting you up to Him and he is listening.

T said...

love baby feet
love those bracelets
look forward to the new you (blog style)

sarahgrace said...

Ooooh! Can't wait to see the new template! My blog is in desperate need of a change itself!

Love the tinky toes!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, so much to comment on...

The feet are precious, and I'm so glad you wrote that post to preserve in Cyberspace for him to read when he's 16 and be mortified. It's what we moms do!

Love the bracelet and the teapot and cannot wait, wait, WAIT to see what Susie dreams up for you! Put it up quick!

You are killin' me with the s'mores (you know, Weight Watchers and all), so I have to pass. I would eat that whole stinkin' pan.

Have a good weekend, GiBee!!

Pam said...

I collect teapots, too!! I also adore lime or apple green, and I really, really like that teapot! So sweet and a wonderful reminder to you of a weekend God carried you, so you could shine for Him.

Darling baby feet : ) I wish now I'd taken a whole scrapbook just of my three babies' feet. I think that's why I am so excited to adopt Mia. She'll get to do all the things I was too tired to with my others. Hee hee!

The bracelet . . . ooh . . . I want one! I would rather wear a bracelet any day than a necklace, and one with such meaning attached would be even better. Thanks for sharing, friend!

Pam said...

Oh, btw, I am still praying for you and the results of your tests.

Love that recipe. Haven't made it in awhile . . . maybe I need to get the ingredients, like today. Yummy!!

Diane Viere said...

I love coming to visit...no matter how your blog looks! You leave me with a smile and feeling so good--with each visit!

Love, love, love those little feet!

And the bracelets....WOW...are they ever cute!

You scared me tho with all the smart talk...commodity--smoddity! :)

Good to see you!

Diane

Randi said...

Baby feet are too cute! I am looking forward to your new template--I have seens couple that she has made and they are great!

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Your new design is absolutely gaw-geous!

Heth said...

Love the new design. It's perfect.

That freckle is so adorable.

kpjara said...

I took these to our small group last night and dropped some off at a friends house and everyone RAVED about them and they are so easy to make.

I did try one, much to the chagrin of my scale I'm certain...but it was yumm-dilly-ishous!