Tuesday, April 04, 2006

God Cares about Squirty Bottles -- and -- Tuesday's Toss-up

Yup, God cares for squirty bottles. You see... This past Sunday, I was running late for Sunday School. What a surprise there! My husband had given me until 9:00, and then he was leaving and that meant ... separate cars. I HATE THAT on a Sunday! We're a family and we should travel as one. But, with the time change, it was pretty hard to drag my hiney out of bed. My husband is on the praise team, so he had to be at church by 9:30 for a quick practice with the intern.

At 8:40, I was still drying my hair, waiting for HIM to finish ironing his clothes (see? it's his fault I'm late, not mine!) so that I could iron my stuff, and my son was still asleep. I was NOT going to make 9:00. So, he called the PastorMan's wife and caught a ride with her. Whew. At least we could come home together, and I would be able to calm down and get ready with some breathing room.

At about 8:50, I wandered over to the ironing board to iron my very, very wrinkled khaki pants. I went to squirt water on them, and the squeeze part of the squirty bottle was not working. I tried everything. Shaking it. Jiggling it. Slamming it repeatedly on the ironing board. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I could NOT wear these pants as crushed as they were, and trust me when I say... my hiney would NOT appreciate it if I stuck these all-cotton slacks into the dryer to try to fluff the wrinkles out.

So, I laid hands on the squirty bottle and prayed over it, asking the Lord to let it work just so I can get my stuff for church ironed. And guess what? It did! Now, it wasn't an all out spray of water... but a light mist was perfect for what I needed to get done. And this morning, when I went to use the squirty bottle again? Nothing. Nada. Zip.

I've prayed over other strange things, too, and have had God answer my prayers... like, I would pray for God to provide for us, and I'd go fold laundry and find a $20 in the dryer (even $100 one time). One time I laid hands on a hot water heater. Another time, I laid hands on an air conditioning unit.

Why does all this matter, and what is my point? God cares so much for us ... soooo much ... even the small stuff that trips us up matters to God. Just look at the following scripture... now, I know we ALLLLL know it -- probably by heart -- but here it is in the Message version, and WOWZA! This version packs a punch ... in modern day, 21-st century language... Matthew 6:25-34

"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds. Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion--do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best--dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers--most of which are never even seen--don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

Okay, I know I've talked enough ... So, now it's time for Tuesday's Toss-up --

What are some of the strange things YOU have prayed for and God has answered?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 8-year-old son was having stomach problems (from nerves) at the beginning of the school year. He got worried about the stomach problems, which made him more nervous, which made the problem worse, etc. etc. One night before schools started last fall, we were praying at bedtime when he had the sweetest prayer, begging God to take the stomach problems away before school started. But, he added, "I understand if you don't want to." Let me tell you, after that prayer time, I had a little heart-to-heart with God to also beg him for healing for my son, so that he could learn a lesson about God's faithfulness to care for us. And guess what? The stomach problems went away.

kpjara said...

I pray for EVERYthing and I do mean EVERYthing...I pray to find lost keys (and I find them), for a peace-filled spirit (and it comes), a missing puppy I was dog-sitting (and home he trots), my car to get me home safely (and it does), protection from the enemy in my sleep (This is a biggee for me and HE always comes through). The things I pray that don't work out MY way, God is constantly showing me how His way is better!

someone else said...

I've prayed for a lot of stuff over the years and the answers have been interesting. Not always the answer I wanted, but better.

The oddest thing I've ever prayed for was when I was a teenager. I had an ingrown toenail that was excruciatingly painful one particular day. I was sitting at the sewing machine working on a blue dress (I can't believe I can remember the color) and I just asked God to ple-e-ease make it stop hurting. He did.

Eventually I had to have surgery, though.

Chilihead2 said...

When I was barely pregnant with Wild Thing we could not find her heart tone. Weeping, I was on my knees begging for a heart tone at the ultrasound we had scheduled later that day. We did find a heart tone.

Heather Smith said...

Hmmm...I've prayed for ways to go to Christian concerts for cheap. I know this sounds selfish, but they really leave me on a spiritual high, and I can't afford to spend 30 bucks a pop for all the concerts I go to. Result? I've not payed more than 10 bucks a concert in the past two years and most of them were free! (I saw Third Day 4 times last year, Casting Crowns once, Jeremy Camp twice, Mercy Me twice and so on and so on!) God is good! Oh and BTW, I AM NOT 111 years old!! I'm glad you think I'm that smar though! LOL!

Anonymous said...

The strangest thing I've ever prayed for is when I was real late somewhere & I didn't want to speed and get in an accident or get a ticket, I prayed that the lights would change as I was coming up to them. It's strange but they did. I was just a baby Christian & I think God was making Himself real to me. The light changing thing hasn't happened since. :)

Kristen said...

Well, when I was a young child, I had a terrible fear of throwing up. Every night I prayed that I wouldn't throw up. Now, every night, I pray that my children will sleep through the night. It rarely happens though.

Mama D said...

First of all let me just say that you are wonderful. If we all had the faith that you have... wow. I don't iron. I could iron. But I don't. Recently I prayed for god to calm me down when I was freaking out over our boiler problems. I swear I just felt the tension run right out of my body and into the floor!

Diane Viere said...

I have IBS...that's irritable bowel syndrome....NEED I SAY MORE! I do alot of praying in the car...Please, God--let there be a gas station around the next corner!!!!

:)

Diane

Randi said...

One of the strangest things I prayed for:

About 10 years ago my daughter was mowing the lawn--I think she was about 7 years old. My hubby happened to be feeling a bit crabby that day so she wanted to help him. Well, halfway through mowing, the wheel fell off of the mower. We looked everywhere and couldn't find the bolt that held it on . We knew that this little development would make daddy a bit more cranky! We stopped and prayed and immediately when we opened our eyes the bolt was right on the grass in front of us. Honestly, I felt that God did that to show my daughter that He cares about everything--even the little things!

Shalee said...

I just typed in a long, long list and realized that I know what to blog on tomorrow...

Best thing I prayed for?

My husband, and I love that in this case, God answered quickly.

mommy to six J's said...

What a right on post I have prayed for my husband to have felt like he had 10 hours of sleep instead of four and every time I do this he always makes some kind of comment about how great he feels.I have prayed for money and all of sudden it shows up on my front seat of my car. In my house and at church wow God is so awesome.

Chaotic Mom said...

I don't have something specific to add now. Just wanted to comment on how special I thought this post was. And thought provoking. I pray for my boys most every day, in general ways and for specific things. ;)

GiBee said...

Kris - I constantly pray for ENOUGH sleep! I used to battle with insomnia... until I had a baby. And, isn't that just awesome? God cares about even stinky septic problems!

Shannon - That is such a touching story! God is Faithful!

KPJara - I'm with you on EVERYTHING! (Heavens, girl, you CRACK ME UP!)

Morning Glory -- OWWWW! I'd pray for that too!!!!

Chilihead2 - I know the feeling... trust me... I know. And when God pulls through, it's such an awesome rush of amazement at his POWER!!!

Faith -- Evidently, I have the same type of garage problem... And you know what? Despite the fact that I pray for EVERYTHING -- this is one thing I never thought to pray about! Now I will!

Heather -- so, I'm assuming you saw Lord of the Rings in order to understand that?!?! And, yes... God is Good, all the time, even with concerts! And, FREE?!?! How DID you do that?! I think I went to all those tour concerts, too! Was that you up in the front row screaming and grasping at your hair frantically and waving your arms hysterically when Mac Powell came out in jeans and a plain white t-shirt? Was that you? Oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh. EHEM. I'm sorry, I'm married, and would NEVER react that way. Never.

Susanne -- Hmmm ... that gives me ideas!!!

Kristen -- funny! I do that too! Pray for my son to sleep through the night, that is. I ask God to let him sleep long and deep and wake up refreshed. Secretly, I'm asking God to let ME sleep through the night. And he knows that!

Mama D - That is AMAZING! I love it when you can literally FEEL God answer a prayer like that... goose bumps, girl -- GOOSEBUMPS!

Diane -- first of all, thank you for sharing your name... much shorter to type... and GIRL!!!! I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!

Randi -- I didn't realize you were that old! Oh, wait... never mind. You're my age. You're soooo young to have a daughter that age!!! One time, my mom lost her DIAMOND from her engagement ring in a parking lot of gravel. She prayed and asked the Holy Spirit to help her find it, and HE DID! With in seconds!

Shalee -- You'd better BLOG ABOUT IT, cause I'm gonna be stalking you until you do!!! Eeehhh -- never mind. I stalk you any way.

Mommy to 4 J's - Ummm -- can you pray for me, too? About the money thing? And the rest thing? I could use BOTH!

Momma M -- You know what? I just don't think there's anything more special than the prayers of a mother for her children. Moms spend a lot of time on their knees over their kids... Dads, too... but moms hearts work differently! (hehehe)

Donnetta said...

All I have to say is "thank you" for sharing this passage! I am left convicted and speechless. I will be going into my day with this passage ever before me, encouraging me, spurring me on. Thanks!

C. H. Green said...

My 6 year old son has more faith than anyone I know. He prays, and it happens. He prayed over his DVD remote and it worked. He prayed for it to stop raining so he could swim with his friend, and it went around us. He prayed for a friend in the hospital and within minutes the unconscious woman woke up and began talking. I pray that I never do anything to hinder that child's faith. Nothing is too big--or too small for God!