Monday, May 22, 2006

What's in a name?

Glad you asked! Let's dissect my name a bit ... GiBee ... After all ... There's a whole lot in my name ... and since you've all been wondering ... I thought I'd share.

WOW! Two posts in one day ... oh, the deliciousness of it all!!!

First of all, "Gi" is the first part of my first name. My name is too unique to really share it with y'all ... stalkers, people ... stalkers. Anywhoo -- Gi is just the beginning (hehehe). "B" is the first letter of my last name. One which I will never, never, ever share on this blog ... for reasons that probably only my friends, family, and Flip Flop understand at this point. And maybe Lauren and Shannon (dont you just love her new look?) and of course ... the fabu and simply adorable Heather! (any one else know my full, and sorry name?)

The "Bee" in my name is my favorite part. The first time I ever went to a Women of Faith conference (about a zillion years ago) ... Thelma Wells shared her testimony. And if you've ever been to a Woman of Faith conference, then you already know the story behind Thelma Wells' love for bees. She offers information, motivation, inspiration and encouragement to help people throughout the world "BEE" their best. Her actual motto is: "In Christ, you can BEE your best."

Thelma shared that the body of a bumblebee is too big, its wingspan too narrow for it to be able to fly. According to aeronautical experts, the flight of the bumble bee is a mystery that defies conventional laws of physics, as its wings do not flutter rapidly enough to create sufficient lift. Yet, it flies around anyway doing what God made it do, reminding us that we can do what God made us to do, too. A miracle that was lovingly created by God ... for us ... as a reminder that we can do anything through HIM! Praise God for that!

So, the Bee became my little emblem too. It reminds me that God has created me the way I am. And even though my wings are too narrow for this big 'ol body, I can do anything, because He gives me the strength!


"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Recently, I started creating a line of jewelry. Many of the pieces are spiritual and inspirational pieces. I will also have a "mother's necklace/bracelet," some fun pieces, and several other pieces that were inspired through my own personal struggles and experiences, and they will hopefully encourage women that either have gone through or are currently going through what I have. And, on each piece I create, a tiny little bee will be included on the clasp, or incorporated somehow on the piece of jewelry to serve as a reminder to the wearer that they can "Bee (or do) anything with Christ's Strength!"

So, there you have it. The history behind my name!

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

I had always wondered...thanks for sharing! I love the story of the bumblebee (it was our high school mascot...it would have been nice for them to tell us that story because "fighting bumblebees" just really doesn't strike fear in an opponent!!). Just where can we see this amazing jewelry you create?

Chilihead2 said...

Love that!

Heather Smith said...

Another great post! And one I needed today. Today I need a bit of the "bumblebee strength." Let's just say that things seem to be stacking up against me in a way at work that it seems I'll never be able to do it. I just need to pray more. God can help me! Thanks GiBee. (From your friend who would NEVER share your name!!)

sarahgrace said...

Thanks for sharing- I wondered what was behind your name too!

Stacey said...

Glad to finally hear the story behind the wonderful GiBee : ) I love your blog, it's such an inspiration and encouragement to everyone that stops by!!

I'd love to see some of this great jewelry, too! I bet is fabulous darling!!

Heth said...

I always wondered too. Thanks for explaining.

the lizness said...

that is very inspiring - "Tess" isn't my real name either, but it's part of my middle name so I don't totally feel like I'm lying when I type it.

I do hope you post pictures of your creations. And how DO you get that adorable signature on your posts?

Anonymous said...

Great explanation. LOVE the story about the bee, and I think that's so neat the way you incorporate it with your jewelry.

GiBee said...

Aggiejenn -- Well -- I'm still working on the website. I haven't made any pieced public yet, but once I have everything up and running, I'll let you all know! Trust me! I really will! And, "fighting bumblebees?" Very original!

Heather ... I'm so sorry things are so hard at work. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you!

Tess -- about the signature ... it was easy-peasy! Well, not for me, but I worked with the fabulous Miss Susie-pie from A Little Luxury ... She is very creative, and very affordable. You might want to check her out. And, if you don't want your whole blog re-designed, maybe she'll work with you on the signature part? Just a thought.

Randi said...

I love the story behind the name--especially the Bee part!

Angie said...

I love the name and have wondered about it, now I love it even more, so thanks for sharing. I kinda wanna go make up my own unigue name now, no I didn't make up 'Angie', God given name, but it does mean angel.
Love and BEElief!

Carol said...

Didn't know that about bumble bee's. God does it again!

Will you be posting pics of your jewelry creations?

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Except now my head is going to be spinning trying to figure out a name that starts with "Gi". That you got that cool analogy makes me even more excited 'cause I get to go to my very first Women of Faith conference in July. I can hardly wait!!!!

Pam said...

So very cool. Love the story behind the name. The BEE part is my favorite, too!