Sunday, February 10, 2008

Oh, My Achin' Head...


Last week, I was bogged down with a horrible head cold. I "powered through" most of the week, but Friday, I woke up, got dressed, went down to start my car, couldn't find my keys anywhere, and trust me when I say, I didn't need my arm to be twisted to stay home and recover.

So, back into my jammies and bed I went. It was nice, if that's how you choose to categorize staying in bed all day in your jammies, with your face pounding, your nose so stopped up you can't breathe, and you eyes all puffy and runny. Nice.

Then, Saturday, Hunter woke up with a fever and the same head cold. But... the nicest thing in the whole world... my sweet SIL Sunshine, her hubby B, and ladybug came to our home Saturday evening and watched Hunter while we went out on a date night. It was the fastest date night I've ever had, and frankly, I was still feeling crummy. We went to the $2.99 movie theater and saw Charlie Wilson's War. OH MY... it was so full of foul language and adult content... I'm surprised it passed as an "R" rating!

Saturday night (really, Sunday morning), Hunter woke up feverish, and slept most of the night in our bed. I think I'm the only one that didn't get any sleep, but thank goodness for naps! Right before nap time, Hunter was sitting on the arm of a big comfy arm chair, and he fell over backwards and hit his head on a dresser. He was crying so hard, and I was rubbing his head, and when I pulled my hand away, I saw... blood.

Now, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but... I don't do well with blood. At all. I shouted for my husband to get me a cold, wet wash cloth, and after applying pressure to the wound for what seemed like 5 hours, it stopped bleeding. It was really only 15 minutes, but all the while, I was talking to myself (in my head), reminding myself that head wounds bleed a lot. Fortunately, it stopped bleeding, so off to bed he went. He napped for two and a half hours.

When he woke up, I casually looked at his head, and noticed that it had not scabbed over like I thought it would, but was still a small open wound. You know where I'm going with this, don't you? I called a neighbor of ours (who is a nurse), and she confirmed my fear... it would need a stitch. How could I have been so stupid!

So off to the emergency room we went. My husband said a prayer over Hunter and for the wait we were sure to have... but guess what? No wait! We walked right in, the checked Hunter in, they took us back, stitched him up (with NO numbing!), and an hour later, we were back home, listening to Hunter proclaim that he is .... Superman!!!

I'm pretty sure I won't be receiving any nominations for mom of the year, or "brightest light bulb" of the year, but I can confirm one thing... God was there! He heard our prayers, and he opened up the emergency room for us, because as soon as we were checked in, it filled up quickly! Praise God that he watched over us this weekend. It could have been much worse!

How was your weekend?


Pam said...

I'll nominate you any day, dear friend. Sounds like quite a wild weekend and you are still sane to report on it. That should count for something!

I'll be praying for all of you to get some good sleep tonight and for Hunter to continue in his super hero fashion tomorrow, healing from his head wound and his head cold.

Love you, sweetie. God is good and never late when we need Him most.

Susanne said...

Oh my goodness. His poor little noggin. And head and face wounds do bleed forever! You did good though, Mom! If he's running around shouting "Superman" you did a super job Mom!

Susanne said...

Oh, and I do hope your feeling better soon. Those head colds are a pain.

Tänia said...

Oh my... bless his heart... bless your heart... BLESS EVERYONE! WOW! Poor little guy! Isn't it wonderful that we serve a God that protects us, prepares us, loves us so He makes a way when the odds are against us? WOO HOO!

I pray you will both be feeling really good this week. Blessings!

momrn2 said...

I'm with Pam, you have my vote too!

Don't be too hard on yourself!!! Get some rest, get well, and stick this memory into his baby book. It will be one to look back on with memories I'm sure!!

Praising God for His fingerprints seen in your weekend and praying this next week is a bit *ahem* boring! :-)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Good grief, girl! I was just thinking yesterday that a year ago this weekend is when Pojke shook a TV stand in a B&B we were staying in and the vase on the top of the TV fell on his head!

Glad to hear "Superman" is OK and you all survived the weekend. Rest today, my dear, rest! If you were here, you'd be "enjoying" a forced day off with all schools canceled and -2.4 on the thermometer! *wink*

Shalee said...

My weekend was a lot less stressful than yours... Don't feel badly. It's hard to be the mom and know everything, especially when you're down with something yourself!

Hopefully this week will be filled with God-given rest for all of you.

Barb said...

I know exactly how you felt, GiBee. The last thing you want to see is your child's blood. Much better if it stays INSIDE him, right?

No numbing? Oh my. I'm glad it all turned out well, though. Poor little guy.