Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Pied Piper

Have you ever wondered what it must have felt like to have been the Pied Piper in the Brothers Grimm folk tale? Granted, the Pied Piper translates to The Rat catcher, and honestly, it's not the prettiest story by far. If I understand correctly, and seriously, 1842 language is NOT my forte, the town of Hamelin was over run with rats. The town Mayor offered a certain amount of money to this Pied Piper to catch the rats and kill them. Then, once he saw that the rats were drowned, he reneged on the agreed-upon amount. In order to extract revenge, the Pied Piper played his pipe again while the town was in church, this time attracting the children of Hamelin. The town's boys and girls were lured behind the melodic tune of the Pied Piper's pipe, and disappeared for ever.

Gruesome!!

But now-a-days, many of us refer to someone as a "pied-piper" when they have a lot of people following them, or if they have a lot of friends that follow them, or if they are good with children, or even ... "it's time to pay the Pied Piper."

I know, I know ... you're wondering what the point is. I'm getting there. For years, I've been praying for God to send unsaved friends my way. Yup -- you read right. Unsaved. Now, don't get me wrong ... I have many, many SAVED friends, and I love them to death. They all add to my life in a rich, complex, and layered way. But the problem is that I can't really witness to them, now can I?

Well, something happened at work this past few weeks that opened my eyes to how many unsaved friends I now have! Not just acquaintances ... but true friends that I care about, and want to see them saved! And the "thing" that happened at work made me realize not only how much they respect me and care for me, but how much influence my attitudes, reactions, and words have in their lives.

WOW! It was a tremendous realization on my part. Did you catch what I said? I have
influence in someones life! Someone that's not saved! They actually wait and watch to see how I react to certain situations, and base their own reactions according to mine! This "thing" that happened actually led me to share about God's grace, and WHY I feel it's important for me to share it with others!

So, my long time prayer of finding unsaved friends has come to fruition, and I'm now working on and praying for at LEAST 7 people. SEVEN! Glory to God. And really, they're just a Walk Across the Room ... literally!

So, as the Pied Piper did in his folk tale, I'm hoping I can lead my friends to the feet of the Father.

How exciting is THAT?!? (Can you tell I live an "exclamation point life?")


"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20a

10 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

I keep hearing about this book - found out its on the shelf at the bookstore I manage. Id never heard of it but when you keep hearing the title of a book over and over in the span of a few weeks, theres a reason. I'll check it out.

Cyndi said...

This is great! It's why were here, so I totally "get" your prayer. I've prayed the same thing. One thing we *won't* have in heaven is unsaved friends... the time is now.

I loved this post!

Susanne said...

How exciting! There is something about showing yourself friendly enough to others that they trust you and then look to you when situations arise. It makes life exciting and fresh!

Susanne said...

AAArrrgh! That should have said "keeps life exciting and your Christian walk fresh!"

Shalee said...

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10

You're such a great example of what it means to be Christ on earth.

Heather Smith said...

That is so exciting! I'll pray that they will have tender hearts as you share with them!!

Stacey said...

Gibee, that's so exciting that you can lead those unsaved people to Him! I'll be praying that their hearts will be open!!

Carol said...

Glory!

What a great example for the rest of us, GiBee! People are not in our lives by accident. I believe every contact is by divine appointment. That realization was made fresh for me again just yesterday.

Tammy said...

So true...my husband has a greater circle of unsaved people around him than I do right now and he has told me stories of how people are watching him also to see how he reacts. It is an awesome responsibility, but wrought with blessings, too!
And our pastor just happened to speak on this subject, as well, yesterday!
Great post!

Overwhelmed! said...

It's amazing how the actions of others can spiritually influence our lives. My grandmothers were two amazing women who inspire me even today, years after they have departed from this earth.

Good for you for having a positive influence in the lives of others!