Monday, March 26, 2007

There is a season for everything!

This past Sunday was a very busy, very long and hectic day for us. Hunter was a trooper, though, and surprisingly, stayed awake long past his noon-ish nap time, and managed to be in a fantastical mood the entire time. It might have had something to do with sparkly star balloons tied to his wrist... but yes, he was pleasant, and not a single temper-tantrum moment was displayed by him.

When we got into the car to go home, he fussed a little -- but as I mention above, it was a very busy, very long and hectic day for us, and for him too, and while he was drop-dead-tired, he valiantly fought falling asleep in the car. Again ... I'm pretty sure it had something to do with those stinking balloons tied to his wrist.

As we were turning into our neighborhood, daddy and I were strategizing over (as we typically do) who would do what ... "I'll unlock the door. You take Hunter in and put him to bed. I'll get the bags and shut the barking-maniac-dog up. Then we'll both drop dead into bed and nap as long as we can." You know ... that kind of strategic planning.

As we were getting out of the car, I over heard daddy saying... "Thank you Jesus for giving us this precious child so late in life."

Huh? Did I hear right? I mean, this whole "having a child late in life" business can really place a damper on your retirement plans... seeing that he'll still be in high school when we're pushing 60, and all... But when he rounded the corner with our sleeping child in his arms, he whispered to me... "I think God gave us Hunter later in life so that we would appreciate him even more, and really understand the precious gift He gave us." We both just took a second to stare at his quiet and peacefully sleeping face.

Yes, honey ... I think you're right. God, in his infinite wisdom, blessed us with this child late in life, because he knew how much more we would love him, and grasp furiously onto each and every moment of life with him, relishing them and placing them into our slowly eroding memory banks as age silently creeps up on us. Yes, there is a season for everything!

6 comments:

Rocks In My Dryer said...

What a precious thing for a daddy to say!

Susanne said...

How beautiful was that! Your hubby's heart really came through in that one little comment, didn't it?

Dionna said...

Neat post.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Amen, amen, and amen! I was sure that I was meant to be a single missionary or something similar when I was still unmarried at 32. That next year brought incredible upheavals and stepping out in faith and here I am 7 years later with a marriage of 6 years with an amazing God-fearing man, a 3-going-on-8 year old, and my sweet baby one year old.

While Da Hubby and I have said we wished we had met earlier so we could have had a house full of them, waiting on God's perfect timing for each other and thru infertility struggles makes these "mommy hazing" years all the sweeter!

Kristen said...

That is precious!! I love it.

Stacey said...

That was such a wonderful thing for a daddy to say! He must really love his family!!