Wednesday, May 23, 2007

WFMW: Fixing Paper-Bound Cook Books

Works for Me Wednesday is a weekly post that is proudly brought to you by the lovely Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer ... hop on over and check out all the other great tips!

A few years ago, I purchased a cook book for my husband. He loves to cook, but his passion is grilling, and making all kinds of rubs, marinades and sauces. So, I got him "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. It's an awesome book. He loves it and uses it all.the.time. But ... that's not the problem. Nor, is it the tip...

Problem: It's paper bound (a soft cover), and we found that the pages started falling out of the binding because it was used so much.

Solution: I took his book to Kinko's, had them cut the binding off, and then had them spiral bind the book with the metal spiral. It is once again ... PERFECT. (see pictures below)

I have used this idea in the past at work, so I thought ... why not re-bind his cookbook? It works even better now, because the pages lie flat, and it didn't cost a whole lot to have it done, either. I totally LOVE this tip.

So -- if any of your cookbooks are coming apart and pages are falling out, take it on over to Kinko's. You'll be amazed at what they can do for you. They can even remove hard backs and make a color copy for you and rebind it with spiral!

I don't know about you ... but THAT works for me AND my husband!

6 comments:

The Estrogen Files said...

EXCELLENT comment! I do this with my Stampin' Up catalog, too. MUCH easier to drool on it. Great tip.

Jada said...

Staples does the same thing. I've taken my Beth Moore workbooks and had them spiral bound. Makes writing in them much easier because, as you said, the pages are flat! And when I haven't completed my lesson, I can fold over the page in small group so no one can see that I've been a procrastinator! LOL I bet OfficeMax probably does the spiral bounding, too.

Anonymous said...

My husband loves this book, too! That is a great idea.

Robin said...

Great idea. I'm going to use it.

Kelly said...

I LOVE this idea! I would have never thought of it on my own. Wish I would have known this in my pre-mommy teaching days. So many of my favorite resource books were in sad shape from frequent use.

Dawn said...

This is a great idea. I have several cookbooks that have been used so much they are falling apart. I am definitely going to do this.