Monday, July 21, 2008

Things I Love... Because I Love YOU!

So, basically, I didn't have ANYTHING to blog about, so... I thought I'd share with you some of the things I'm loving this season. Today, I keep NO secrets from you. I will totally reveal all in a scathing hot report.

Actually, the only thing scathing hot right now is the temperature outside ... close to 100, and huuuu-mid. But it will be a good share!

1) Suave Invisible Solid Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant: The first thing I want to share with you is a new deodorant I've fallen in LOVE with. You see, I used to be a TOTAL Secret girl, but I began to notice that it wasn't working as well as it used to. I don't know if they are "under new ownership," or if they changed their "Secret ingredients" -- but now I totally love Suave Invisible Solid Anti-Perspirant in the Tropical Paradise scent. It smells like coconut oil on a hot, sunny day -- without the smell of sweat, that is... and it goes on WITHOUT leaving a white mark, too! The cucumber melon smells great, too. And the price? About $1.50 or $2.00 depending on where you get it.

2. Green Tea Perfume by Elizabeth Arden: Usually, I swear by Clinique Happy... but it is so expensive, and in my effort to stay within a budget, I accidentally stumbled over this oldie, but goodie. I know ... it was first released in 1999 ... I told you it was an oldie, but then again, I've always been upfront about being slow on the uptake... Anyhow, the perfume undernotes are: citrus lemon, rhubarb, peppermint, oakmoss, musk and amber. Oh, my glory -- it smells so good (almost better than Happy!), and I got mine for $11 a bottle... a huge spray bottle... $11!! I'm totally spraying it on all over after my shower, before I leave the house, while I'm getting dressed... I think there's a 10-step program for Green Tea Perfume Addicts.

3. Banana Boat Tear-Free Sunblock Spray: I have a tough time finding this stuff, but it is great, and very easy to use. I hate the other baby sunblocks, because they are not tear free. If your child has ever accidentally rubbed his face after you've applied the sunblock, and screamed for 30 minutes straight because the lotion is stinging his eyes and there is no way to get it out... you'll love this sunblock. It is more expensive than normal sunblocks, but my child's eyes are worth it.

4. Watermelon Nectarine Slushies: Wanna be a total Rock Star Mom??? Serve these to your kids! They don't really require a recipe... All I did was crush ice in my food processor, add watermelon chunks and one bruised nectarine (skin and all) that no one would eat, and a dash of Splenda. Blend until smoth and yummy. Pour into fun cups with a straw, and ... Voila! Instant Rock Star Mom!!! Here's what the kids DON'T need to know, but you'll be happy knowing: Watermelon is JAM PACKED with Vitamin A; if the watermelon is very red, it has a TON of lycopene -- antioxidant. Give it a squeeze of lime for a fresh and bright flavor. Also, if you don't want to "water it down" too much, try freezing your watermelon before hand. Oh, the possibilities...

5. Here is a recipe for a healthy and yummy popsicle that a friend of mine made and gave to my son a couple months ago at a play date (I think she said she got the recipe out of The Sneaky Chef cook book). Hunter (actually all of us) loved this popsicle so much that I asked her to email me the recipe so I could make it for him. It is a creamy popsicle instead of an ice popsicle, and she made them in an ice-cube tray with popsicle sticks she cut in half. Personally, I used popsicle molds, and they came out GREAT! You will need a food processor or a blender to prepare the mixture. Also, if you use sugar-free yogurt, and used Splenda in place of the powdered sugar, it would be a low-carb frozen treat that is great for kids with Juvenile Diabetes. Berries are ridiculously LOW in carbs, and high in antioxidants ... so fill up on them! (see chart below)

Ingredients
2 cups plain lowfat yogurt (sugar-free optional -- I used plain)
2 cups frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.) thawed in the microwave for 1 minute.
1/2 - 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
Combine the yogurt, fruit and sugar in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.



6. Oxo Mini Salad Spinner: I love this product. Not only can you spin lettuce in this bowl, but fruit, too! Grapes, berries, etc. LOVE it. It helps prepare your salads BEFORE your guests arrive ... spin it and set it in the refrigerator. Its a snap!

7. Johnson and Johnson Bedtime Lavender & Chamomile Bath: Wow. This is so refreshing, so mild, so beautiful... it smells so good that I want to take a bath with it... I love using it on Hunter right before he goes to bed... not because it calms him down, because frankly, I haven't found ANYTHING that can calm him down... but because it leaves him soft and he smells so good -- and you can't resist kissing and cuddling a good smelling boy! We squeeze it in his bath for a bubble bath, or on his froggie body scrubber that we found at the grocery store. He loves to wash with it. The bubbles are fun, and they don't irritate the eyes or skin. SCORE!!!

8. Soy Vay Island Teriyaki: This teriyaki sauce is amazing. It is thick and sweet, it has pineapple, ginger, garlic, organic preservative free soy sauce, sesame seeds... you can actually see the chunks of goodness in it! It is AWESOME on chicken! YUM! And fish. You must get yourself a bottle. You'll come back and thank me. I promise. Try marinating Salmon in it and cooking it on the grill! Holy Schmokes!

9. Liplicious in Candy Apple: How can I describe this??? It is a shiny lipgloss with color -- but it isn't too dark. Actually, it is lip color that TASTES great! I got it at Bath & Body Works, and it is great when I have to dress my lips up. Right now, this is Buy 2 Get 1 Free at B&BW.

10. C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine: Again, by Bath & Body Works... this stuff totally ROCKS! Are your lips dry and chapped??? This is a moisturizing gloss that has peppermint oil... when you put it on your lips, it instantly cools, soothes, and tastes fabulous. It comes in plain clear, or slightly tinted for that sheer every-day look. It leaves your lips shiny, and your breath smelling great! Love it! And right now, this is ALSO Buy 2 Get 1 Free at B&BW!! (I also have the cinnamon one -- I'm wearing it right now -- but it isn't as good.)

11. Chick-fil-A Salads: Words just escape me. WAIT ... no they don't... YUUUUMMMMM!!!! How's that??? Seriously... if you are looking for a wonderful salad for lunch, and you are short on time, head on over to Chick fil A. They have the most beautiful salads. Seriously! They are so fresh, and they are served in such a way that you feel you're eating gourmet food at fast food prices!But don't take it from me... take it from Chick fil A!! Oh, and not only are their salads fabu, darling... but so are their morning chicken biscuits! Glory be! Divine!!! And the lemonade? Freshly squeezed. Diet AND regular! And don't get me started on their brownies. Hey?! Did I mention kids eat free on Tuesdays (in our area, that is)... What are you waiting for?

5 comments:

Breanne said...

What a great idea! Will check these things out.

Barb said...

I think you know how I feel about salad spinners. And no one makes a salad spinner like OXO.

I love that Johnson's bedtime stuff too. I have the bath AND the lotion. It's meant for babies of course, so I "baby" myself with it.

Great list and what a great thing to post when you don't have anything to post about!

Laura said...

I love these types of lists because I love trying new products :)

Anonymous said...

Love the popsicle recipe. I'm volunteering to be your taster.

:)


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/


Looking for photo ideas? Please visit 12 Photo Ideas To Try This Summer

Tara said...

Okay, this chick knows what she's talking about! She gave me two of the menthasomething lip balms from BBW once upon a time. They last FOREVER (I'm still on the first one and that was Mother's Day of 2007)! I put some on in church and my mom commented on how nice it smelled. :)