Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WFMW: Fluffier Biscuits & Entertaining Made Easy

Works for me Wednesday is hosted by Shannon over at Rocks in my Dryer! Head on over for other valuable tips! (For some reason, the graphic isn't showing up right -- sorry!)

I have a few tips for you today that I think will make entertaining easier on you, AND give you better biscuits -- because everyone needs better biscuits!

1) When I entertain, I try to prepare everything in advance so that when my guests arrive, I can enjoy time with them. I pre-cut veggies, pre-cook as much as possible, prepare my salad by washing, and then cutting my lettuce and putting it in a colander and pre-cutting the veggies that go in the salad and putting them in a separate bowl and putting both of them in the fridge, I prepare my desert well ahead of time, etc. Then I time all my cooking to be done shortly after they arrive, and keep things warm so I have time to sit down and enjoy an appetizer with my friends. Pre-prepping and pre-cooking things saves a lot of last-minute time and allows you to enjoy your company without rushing around and working up a sweat! That totally works for me!

2) I also try to have an empty dishwasher and NO pots or pans in the sink or strainer. I find it easier to wash as I cook, dry things and put them away immediately. The empty strainer makes it easier for me to wash last-minute cooking utensils and set them aside as I'm cooking so I have less clutter in the kitchen, the empty sink makes it easier for me to set the dirty dishes in the sink and clean up quickly right after dinner, and the empty dishwasher gives me a spot to put all those empty dishes after my guests have left, making cleanup a snap. That totally works for me!

3) Having said that, Saturday evening, I made biscuits for dinner, and one of the things I didn't want to be doing when my guests arrived was rolling out biscuit dough, because that can be such a mess to clean up (imagine flour on counter, on floor, on me). So, I prepared my biscuit dough ahead of time (about 40 minutes before my guests arrived), kneaded it, rolled it out and cut the biscuits out. I placed them on my prepared baking stone, covered them with saran wrap, and set them aside on the counter. To my amazement, they ROSE! Instead of being about 1/2" thick, they rose to about 3/4" thick, and they turned out to be very moist and very fluffy! In fact, some of the best biscuits I've ever made!! So, I think that from now on, I will let my biscuits rise for about 30 minutes before baking. Also, I used the Heart-Smart Bisquick mix, and it is very good! I don't know about you, but big fluffy biscuits and Heart-smart Bisquick TOTALLY work for me!

Head on over to Shannon's for more excellent tips!

11 comments:

Donnetta said...

I try to do your tip about cleaning up in the kitchen as I go even when I'm not having company.

When preparing a meal I fill one side of my sink with soapy water to do a quick clean up of spills or counters as I go as well as for any pots/pans/dishes that I can clean before we eat.

You're right... it makes clean up less cumbersome when the meal is done!

Great tips!! And your buscuits sound absolutely YUMMY!

Susanne said...

So what is with you and your recent penchant for making my mouth water all over my keyboard when I come over here? :vD

Great tips. I love biscuits. I never thought to make them up early. I'm certainly going to give that a try.

Amanda said...

Mmm...biscuits. I LOVE biscuits. I'll have to try this. I, too, use the Heart Smart Bisquick mix. I've been wondering how to get them fluffier. I never thought to leave the dough out to rise (I'm not a baker).

Thanks so much for this tip! :)

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea - to let the biscuits rise!!! I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Emily Dykstra said...

Oh my land. You get an "A" just for attempting to make biscuits. You are crowned the domestic goddess for the day.

Emily

http://dykstrahouse.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Is the pic of your biscuits? Wow! Great job! They're beautiful!

Eve said...

Your bisquits look wonderful.

I use Martha White flour because it has something called "hot rize." It allows you to make them ahead and cook them when you are ready. They seem to rise higher than most.

Mamacita said...

I'm not exactly great at timing things so well - I am going to try your tips, though, because I dislike having to be in the kitchen instead of visiting with my guests. I am gonna try the biscuit trick, too. THanks!

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog through 5 Minutes for Mom. Can't wait to try the biscuit trick-the last ones I made were hard as rocks! Thanks for your tips!
Vicki

Sandy said...

Great tips and ... can I have some of those biscuits? YUM, mouth-watering! :)

Breanne said...

Great tips. Thanks!!