Monday, June 16, 2008

I thought it was diaper rash ... PROMISE!!!



And THIS, friends... is where I'm presented with the Best Mom in the UNIVERSE award. NOT!

So... last week, we found out Hunter has strep. In his fanny. Yup -- you read right. His fanny. Who woulda thunk???? Seriously -- NOT ME!!!

Anyway, poor baby has been complaining that his fanny was either itching or hurting him for close to a month, if not more. In fact, we thought it was his diaper causing the redness (I don't know... maybe it was giving him a wedgie or something -- I told you -- mom of the universe, so leave me alone, already!), so we moved him into larger diapers (note to husband: yes, honey, that's how long he's had this). We had been applying Desitin, because we thought it was a rash ... and not on the "cheeks," mind you... elsewhere... and I won't get into details. Oh, okay. I will. He was bright red, constantly itching, complaining that his fanny hurt, and I saw a small flap of ... skin... hanging out, so naturally, my first thoughts were that my child is a freak has hemorrhoids, because we are trying to potty train, and he loves to sit on the toilet and strain... and strain... and strain. Even when he doesn't have to do anything.

So after some debate, I decided to take him to the doctor. The doctor said his skin was demarcated (a bit separated, hence the flap I mentioned) and ... weepy. Imagine my surprise when he said he wanted to swab for strep type-A ... and not in the throat, mind you. My reaction was, "STREP!?! In his FANNY??? You think his fanny is weepy, just wait until you swab him." My sense of humor was lost on this young doctor who was out to change the world... one fanny at a time.

I think it's "officially" called: Perianal Streptococcal Dermatitis ... or more commonly known as: strep bu++ (sorry, I just HATE using that word, but it is what it is). Hunter is now on antibiotics. Oral and topical. Three times a day for ten days. And the more I Google it, the more freaked out I get at what could have been if we had left it unchecked.

Anyway, I can NOT for the life of me figure out how Hunt got this... other than in one article it said something about communal bathing, and I'm wondering if sharing a pool with other kids might have done it. Another article said you can get it from the inside out... Not sure what THAT means.

In any case... wash your hands, people! A LOT! And if your child develops an odd rash with a few odd pimples here and there, and if it itches and hurts, and if it is really red... well, you get the picture... just go see a doctor, even if you DO think you're crying wolf. And, keep sores and cuts clean because strep can get in there too, and then you have a whole mess of new problems.

Oh, the indignation.

And just so you know I'm not alone in this... here are a few other bloggers that have had the same problem with their child... and note: some of these are not "family friendly"* or Christian* blogs...

*Edited to add: I am referring specifically to the community message board

Kami's Khlopchyk
Autism Speaks Community Message Board (AMAZING what a Google search will find!)
Faith Kids Online

All righty then.

Updated to add: Any time I come near him with his medicine he immediately says: "I feah bettah mommy, I feah bettah." So cute... BUT ... when I tell him I need to change his diaper ... he has a melt down. So sad!! Breaks my heart.

10 comments:

Stacey Baker said...

You crack me up!! No pun intended...

I sure hope your lil' man gets to feeling better soon. Thanks for the post though...I've never heard of this and it's nice to know.

God bless!

Jane Anne said...

I have never ever heard of this kind of strep. I appreciate you mentioning it. Seriously. As a mom of 4 (2 preschoolers and 1 infant) it is good to know about. I hope he feels better VERY soon. Don't beat yourself up about it. Most moms would have been right there with you, doing the exact same things.

Susanne said...

I've heard of this strep. There's been some prominent people in Canada who have gotten it. But seriously Gibee, I never would have thought that's what it was in a child's fanny?! Praying them antibiotics get the job done, and Hunter's poor little bottom and Mom's nerves are soothed. Hugs to you. I know how you feel. And thanks for putting the information out there.

Heather Smith said...

Poor Hunter. Hope he's feeling better soon. And now I'll keep a close look when I think it's just diaper rash.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh poor Hunter! I'm sorry to hear he has this.

Our youngest foster daughter gets bad diaper rashes easily. I'm pretty sure it's not what Hunter has because we've had our pediatrician take a look at her. We have to use over-the-counter lanilan ointment to keep the rash under control!

Hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

Oh, I thought I'd let you know that I've just posted a picture of one of my 4th of July tutus. Stop by if you’d like to take a look!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I had no idea you could get strep there. Go figure. Thanks for posting about it -- and I hope your little one gets to feeling better soon!

Lovely Rita said...

Oh, I did the same thing with one mine, although I think it was something much less serious. Matt had complained about getting hurt, but I rubbed it, sent him on his way and saw the goose egg later.

Yes, I'm on vacation and still trying to keep up with blogging news. Anything to look busy while some I else cleans the kitchen :)

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Hey! I noticed someone linked from your site on my stat site and came over to check it out. I still am not clear on how my boys got it either but the meds cleared it right up and we haven't had a reoccurrence.

And I think it might be my site that you warned is not family friendly and I have to say that on that post it was a comment by someone else that proved it to be far less family friendly than I ever intended.

:-)

Hope your little one is better very soon!

Barb said...

I absolutely never heard of this, GiBee. Who would have ever thought strep could be anywhere but in your throat! Poor little guy. Your edit made me sad. I can't stand it when they're this uncomfortable. I so hope he's all better now, since I'm as always, late in reading this post.

Shawna said...

Oh, poor Hunter. I feel so sorry for him. I hope he is feeling better by now.

I have never heard of this and would not have known what it was either. I would have done the same thing. I wonder how many doctors get this right/wrong. Hmmm.

Your site is always a wealth of information. Thanks again. :0)