Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How My Work Schedule Works

This afternoon, Tina asked me how my work schedule of 9-80's works...

I actually work (8) 9-hour days and (1) 8-hour day. Our mandatory schedule starts at 7:30 and ends at 5:15. I'm at work for 10 hours total when you include lunch time. On busy days, my eyes are incredibly tired when I get home, because I am in front of a computer all day long, and reading small printouts... but other than that, it has proven to be awesome for me.

That one extra day every other week allows me to get a multitude of things done. I also am a person who has to be in bed by 9 or I can't function. I need a good 9 hours of sleep, but on the Thursday before my Friday off, I can actually stay up late (if I can keep my eyes open) and work on stuff like catching up on folding clothes, sorting stuff, organizing, etc., because I can sleep in past 5:30 or 6:00 on Friday. It totally rocks, and if your company offers it, TAKE THEM UP ON IT! Try it out and see if you like it.

Although -- I do have to add one disclaimer. My husband takes and picks Hunter up from day care. He gets off from work at 2:30 every afternoon, so this schedule works for US. He is home in the afternoon playing with Hunter, and usually fixing dinner (and serving it when I get home).

On the other hand, I have a couple friends at work who live about 35-45 minutes down the road, and this schedule did NOT work for them because the daycares each of them use close at 6:00. They couldn't guarantee that they would get there each and every day before 6:00 -- so this wasn't an option they could use.

No comments: