Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Am My Beloved's and My Beloved is Mine!

Ahhhh, yeeesss... Valentine's day is here. And we will be spending it in SUCH a special and romantic (yeah, right) way... but first, you will be subjected to my miscellaneous ramblings ...

My ever so un-romantic husband (who really is romantic, just not in a flowery, chocolatey, goo-goo eyed way) just called me at work to wish me a happy Valentine's Day and to tell me he loves me. Sigh. That's my beloved! I HEART him. In fact, that's just one of his ways of being romantic that I love so much.

You see, he wakes up at the crack of dawn every day. He takes our son to daycare at 5:00 in the morning. Then, his day at work begins at 6:00 in the morning. Mine doesn't begin until 7:30, and I'm usually still in bed at 6:00 in the morning (who isn't?). Any way... what I'm trying to get at, is that there are many, many days through out the year that my beloved calls me at work, before I even get out of bed, to leave me a message on my voice mail telling me that he loves me and hopes I have a beautiful day. Now, I ask, how can you NOT have a good day after hearing THAT first thing in the morning?

Then, as expected, (because he ... um ... errr ... read (gulp) my blog ... and saw what I wrote about him) he asked me where I wanted carry-in from for dinner tonight ?! He's so creative.

In all fairness, I took him out to dinner last night for Valentine's Day (Spanish food-yum!) -- out of respect to him, of course, because he hates crowds. Actually, I really think he doesn't want to be the only man in the restaurant not presenting his wife with a little box full of sparkley bling --- just like the commercial. ANYWAY ... he ordered one of the "specials" because it sounded really good... scallops with a cream sauce on top of a bed of shredded plantains, served with white rice, black beans and steamed vegetables. I ordered a mixed Saltado of shrimp, scallops, and beef (a Peruvian dish -- my mom is from Peru so I love Peruvian food, but I digress, and that's a story for another time). Our son had Gerber green beans with a side of bananas.

Now, my husband has quite a healthy appetite, and by this time, he was hungry. So, when our dishes came out, you can imagine his surprise. My dish was huge... full of good stuff to eat. His was -- well, you be the judge -- he had exactly 5 small scallops, 4 green beans, 2 pieces of broccoli and 2 pieces of carrots. I know, because I counted. How tacky! He looked crestfallen. So, being the loving wife I am (because I AM my beloved's), I shared half of my meal with him. If I had my wits about me, I would have taken a picture of the two meals with my phone camera... but NOOOOO ... I'm not that sharp.

So ... here's what I've been saving as the cherry on top for our very special Valentine's Day celebration... Since my son is getting 4 shots this afternoon, and since I've been told that the 4-month vaccinations are AWFUL, and since I'm expecting him to spike a fever and be all grumpy and what not tomorrow and not be able to go to daycare, and since I already took three days off last week because he was sick and wanted his mommy, and since I took one day off because I was sick and wanted my pillow, well ... my husband has called in the troops to come take care of my son tomorrow... the Grandma and Grandpa troops, that is. His parents. My in-laws. It's very generous and kind of them... but along with that, they will be spending the night at my house. Tonight. Valentine's Day. Yeah. I know what you're thinking, because I'm thinking it too. I love my in-laws, a lot, but it sure throws a wrench into a romantic evening at home, doesn't it? Because at some point, my son has to fall asleep, and then we'd have time to ourselves... but at nooo point can I send my in-laws to bed so we can have time to ourselves.

Oh well. The true reason for Valentine's Day is to share your love ... and I can still do that ... sort of!

Have a blessed day, and --- tell someone you love them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gerber green beans with a side of bananas? Wow, I'd say Sunshine Baby got the raw end of that deal.

Carol said...

So! How'd the evening with the in-laws go?

Really I just stopped by to thank you for visiting and commenting at She Lives. I felt a little funny leaving this on the bra post, so...

Thanks. I hope you'll stop by often.